Sunday, April 08, 2007

Sea Fever by John Masefield, one of my favourite poems

Sea Fever
I must go down to the sea again,
to the lonely sea and the sky,
And all I ask is a tall ship
and a star to steer her by.
And the wheel's kick, and the wind's song
and the white sail's shaking,
And a grey mist on the sea's face,
and a grey dawn breaking.
I must go down to the sea again,
for the call of the running tide
Is a wild call and a clear call
which may not be denied.
And all I ask is a windy day
with white clouds flying,
And flung spray and blown spume,
and the seagulls crying.
I must go down to the seas again,
to a vagrant gypsy life,
To the gull's way, and the whale's way,
where the wind's like a whetted knife.
And all I ask is a merry yarn
from a laughing fellow rover,
And a quiet sleep and a sweet dream
when the long trick's over.
John Masefield.
I can't get this to publish in it's three correctly divided verses.

No comments: