Friday, February 15, 2008

My Love Of Essex Rivers


My Love of Essex Rivers


Since an early age these South East Essex rivers and the surrounding countryside have been deeply in my heart, some of the places I love most of all the many parts of England that I know. The glory of the skies, the salt marshes, the small towns and pretty villages, the salty breezy air of the riverside quays and the peace to be found all have their place in my memories. I think I would be a very different person without those memories. All the years I have lived in London have not taken them away.
I have an extremely early recollection of a visit to Maldon. This was a Sunday School treat as far as I remember. I recall a steep hill and a shop full of little souvenirs where I bought a small china kid with a sixpence that I had to spend. I still have the kid in my china cabinet and here it is. I must have been about seven or eight years old when I went on that trip.

No comments: